There are a number of rules that will apply if you are selling online.
You must display information such as:
- your business name and contact details
- a description of your goods or services
- the price, including all taxes
- the steps to place an order
- how a customer can pay
- delivery arrangements, costs and how long goods will take to arrive
- information about the customer’s right to cancel within 14 days. You must tell the customer if they will be responsible for paying for the return of goods if they cancel. If you don’t, they’re not liable for the costs.
After a customer places an order you must acknowledge receipt of the order electronically as soon as possible and give them the following:
- details of what they have purchased
- the total cost
- arrangements for delivery
- how and when they can cancel an order and who pays for returning goods
- an address where complaints can be sent
- any guarantees or after-sales services you offer
- conditions for terminating contracts
- any helpline call charges that are more than calling an 01, 02 or 03 number, or a mobile or free number
- your email address
- your VAT number (if applicable)
- you must take reasonable steps to allow customers to correct any errors in their order
- make sure customers can store and reproduce your terms and conditions, ie these can be downloaded and printed off
The UK Government Site is a good source of information on Distance Selling and Online Trading.
Cannot make a Charge on Returned Goods
Online retailers cannot reclaim some of the purchase price of goods even if they are returned after a long time and have given the user some benefit, an advocate general of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has said.
Buyers can return goods and get a full refund in the first one to two weeks of ownership of goods. Retailers are barred from imposing charges and penalties on people returning goods. The only charge that may be made to the consumer because of the exercise of his right of withdrawal is the direct cost of returning the goods.
We aim to be friendly and informative, providing all the support and guidance you need to steer you clearly and effectively through the web design process and ensure that you end up with a great website.
If you need help with your website please feel free to give me a ring. Regards
Michael Spencer, Web Designer and WordPress Specialist.
email@example.com – 01263 722058
Epsilis Website Designers – Mundesley, Norwich, Norfolk and Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire